Thursday, April 29, 2010

Anniversary

Friday night was a special night. It was my fiance's, Brian, wedding anniversary with his late wife, Rachel. They would have been married five years.

Most people make plans for their five years. How many kids they might have, if they want kids, a trip they might take, or a special ritual they might due. The five year mark is a pretty special one. So, for Brian I planned a special evening for him.

Brian and Rachel had a special bottle of wine that they purchased in Napa Valley on vacation one year. This particular bottle of wine matured on the same year as their 5 year wedding anniversary. They planned to go on a special trip back to Jamaica where they had their honeymoon and take the bottle of wine with them to share on the exact day of their anniversary.

So I decided to take Brian out to dinner to Rachel's favorite restaurant, Amici's, and bring the bottle of wine with us. Brian ordered Rachel's favorite dish, which I thought was sweet. While we were talking I realized that nothing but Michael Bubble was playing, which Rachel LOVED him. I made the observation to Brian, and he said, "If the next song is "Home", then I know she is here with us." Believe it or not, the next song that came on was "Home". She was with us and I am so glad she was. I know that to Brian it meant a lot to know she was with him on their special day.

It was such a nice dinner. Brian shared with me some of their hopes and dreams. We talked about some of the things they did and then...we talked about our future. What was great about that evening is that we could share the past with eachother and dream of our future.

So, here is to you Rachel and Brian. You had some amazing and crazy memories that you made together. They will always be remembered along with your love.

2 comments:

  1. As I sit here, reading and re reading your story, I can't help but have tears in my eyes. Brooke, you are a true God send to Brian and I am so thankful and happy for you both that you came in to each others lives. How special you made this evening for Brian, and to keep Rachel's memory so alive - goes to show she really was there with you guys. I've always aksed B if Rach sends him signs. That was definitely one of them and that he is right where he needs to be... in the world with you! I am so excited to share in the celebration of your new life together Brooke and the start of new memories, and new beginnings. Thanks for sharing your story and thanks for taking care of our sweet Brian. I wish you both a LONG LIFETIME of happiness together. You both deserve that! God bless. Lori Gringeri & Family xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brooke,

    Thank you for sharing! I have so many signs that I receive from my husband who has transitioned. Thank you for being so open with all of your feelings. I would love to connect with you to talk with you and share with you.
    I am so glad for you to have found a wonderful partner!

    Love & Light,
    Spring

    ReplyDelete