Thursday, September 23, 2010

I didn't plan on doing this alone.

As I look back after my husband passed away I remember how much I struggled with wanting to be both parents to my son. I believed in my heart that he deserved to have both parents not just one, so I tried having split personalities for a while...as you can imagine it didn't work out too well.

I ended up driving myself crazy and constantly feeling bad because I was always coming up short. It would get to the point that I would be so exhausted from trying to do it all that by the end of the day I was so impatient and short fused that I was constantly irritated by my son. Then after he went to bed I would cry myself to sleep because I wasn't patient enough and in my head was a bad mommy.

Then I think one day I just stopped trying so hard. I was just me. I was loving and patient and even though I didn't have the daddy voice that I was constantly told that I needed, I found my own ways of disciplining that worked for me and not someone I wasn't. After that I enjoyed my son so much more, we would go on walks together and laugh and bath time was about making things out of bubbles and sticking letters and numbers on the wall.

It was so hard holding all the weight of grieving and trying to be both parents. There is a reason it takes two people to have a child, because one person can't have it all. Granted I can do it on my own, but I am not a man nor will I ever be. I am a woman, a loving, caring, compassionate woman. I have learned to get my hands a little dirty like a man, but I will never again try to play a man's role as a father. I am me, no one else, and I am pretty darn good at being me too :)

5 comments:

  1. Wow, this hit home with me. I feel better realizing that others have felt the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for telling me that because honestly I didn't know if anyone felt the same way. I still to this day beat myself up about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I worked at red robin in west des moines when your life changed greatly....my heart did and still goes out to you and your family....including the young gentleman that is not here today... R.I.P.. I have two kids of my own and I have been blessed to share our few brief conversations threw face book... I told this to you when we first talked BE STRONG... And you continue to do that ... Much love to you and your family... And I am proud to say ... That I am proud of you... Keep keeping your head up ... From what you post your hearts in all the rite places.... Be good girl, love always a blessed man to know you,, gary...

    ReplyDelete
  4. i worked at red robin too! i didnt have the loss of a partner, but know how it feels to not have that other person there. He chooses not to be apart of her life and for so long i tried to force him to a father and ive realized i might have pushed him away more. So for 6 years I have taken care of my daughter all on my own, and you are right, one person cant do it all. Its tough, and imagine even tougher when you are grieving over a loss. Thoughts and prayers to all of you that have lost love ones! We can do whatever we put our minds to, for the sake of our children and thats what makes us the strong woman we are today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you said it all for me that just hit it right on the head with me. Thank you for expressing yourself perfectly. It is also profound that I see this today. The date you posted this it would of been my husbands 43rd b-day.

    ReplyDelete